Shampoo bars are the best natural hair care product for both you and the planet.
Commercial liquid shampoos strip hair with detergents and coat it with silicones. The best natural shampoo bars don’t.
Our organic, solid shampoo bars are super-concentrated with beneficial herbs and essential oils that preserve the natural moisture of your hair and scalp.
And rich luxurious lather.
Zero waste shampoo bars are a smart, eco-friendly alternative to liquid shampoo.
Why Switch to a Shampoo Bar?
Solid shampoo bars are an easy zero waste swap that clean your hair gently and naturally.
Better For Your Hair
• Moisturizing — Our bars are packed with organic herbs and oils — like calendula, horsetail, and nettles — to hydrate hair and nourish the scalp.
• No Buildup — Free from Sodium Lauryl Sulfates (SLS), waxes, silicones, and parabens which can cause buildup on your hair.
• Doesn’t Strip Hair — Our organic shampoo bars are free from harsh detergents that steal your hair’s natural oils.
• Cleans Gently — Ideal for sensitive scalp and color-treated hair. Or any hair, really! Free from artificial fragrances, preservatives, parabens, or detergents.
Better for Our Planet
• Zero Waste — No bottle! Our shampoo bars and plastic free packaging are biodegradable.
• Lasts Longer — You’ll get twice as many washes compared to liquid shampoo.
• Saves Water — Solid bars that are dense with concentrated ingredients require less water to make and less fossil fuels to ship.
How to Use a Natural Shampoo Bar
Switching to a solid shampoo bar is easy. Here are some quick tips for naturally healthy hair.
Washing Your Hair
1) Lather — Rub the shampoo bar directly on wet hair, or between hands (your preference), to create a rich lather.
2) Work into the Scalp — Massage suds gently thru hair and scalp.
3) Rinse Thoroughly — Shampoo bar suds may rinse out more slowly than liquid detergent-based shampoo.
4) Repeat — Rinse and repeat if necessary (some find it helps reduce tangles).
Conditioning Your Hair and Scalp
In order to condition your hair naturally, we recommend using an apple cider vinegar rinse after washing with a shampoo bar.
Apple Cider Vinegar relaxes the hair shaft to help with frizzy and tangled hair. It stimulates the scalp and strips residue. People with hard water have also found apple cider vinegar to be particularly helpful.
1) Mix — You can use a commercially available Apple Cider Vinegar rinse or make your own at home. If mixing yourself, we recommend the following ratios:
• For Dry hair: 4 parts water, 2 parts Apple Cider Vinegar
• For Oily hair: 2 parts water, 2 parts Apple Cider Vinegar
2) Apply — Spray or pour Apple Cider Vinegar on your wet hair after washing.
3) Rinse — Leave it in for a few minutes, then rinse out. You may also leave it in if you like. The vinegar scent will disappear once evaporated. Use Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse as often as you wash your hair.
4) After — For extra conditioning, you may also use a hair oil of your choosing. Or try using our Herbal Lotion Bar. Just rub a tiny amount on your fingers and style through your hair.
Conventional liquid shampoos strip your natural protective oils and coat your hair with silicone. Shampoo bars made of organic, natural ingredients do not.
So, when switching to a natural shampoo bar, many people experience a transition period for hair to adjust and restore balance its scalp oil production.
Depending on your hair, this could take a few days or weeks. During this adjustment, your hair may feel more oily, waxy, or dry and frizzy than normal. Be patient. Ultimately, your hair and the planet will be happier without the harsh chemicals of commercial liquid shampoo.
This article was written by Aaron Otto from Moon Valley Organics